That gives me a deadline of December 18, 2008.
At this point, I'm not sure how I'm going to go about this. That is part of the fun of writing this blog. My initial idea is to venture into something I know about, and that's the stock market. Getting a double in the market in only one year is hard, very hard. It means I'm probably going to have to take some risk that I normally wouldn't. Then again, I haven't been doing so great in the market lately so maybe having a completely different strategy will do me some good. Hopefully, if this blog ever becomes popular enough, I'll be able to monetize it somehow. So if you want to help me, make sure you come back and read often.
Now to lay down some ground rules.
- Everything I do must be legal - kind of a no-brainer, but worth calling out explicitly
- If it's legal and ethical, it's fair game - No matter how crazy or stupid something might sound, if it will get me closer to my goal, I'll look into it
- To count toward the goal, it must be the money doing the work, not me directly - That is, I can't count anything I do at my day job toward my goal. It wouldn't be any fun if I went out and "earned" the money.
- I have to count any and all expenses I incur along the way against my goal - For example, I had to pay for my domain name and web space for this site. That means I'm already almost $100 in the hole.
- My living expenses don't count - If I had to count paying my rent against my goal, I'm not sure I would ever make it out of the hole. So for this experiment, living expenses are not deducted.
If anyone has a brilliant idea, I'm all ears. At this point, I'm prepared to lose the entire $20,000, so if you have any idea, no matter how crazy, feel free to suggest it.