I'm sitting here on the cusp of an Obama victory. Although not all the polls are closed yet, it is pretty apparent that he is going to win the Presidency. Congratulations to him. Also, the Democrats look to be gaining seats in both the House and the Senate
Although I am not a Republican, and I am not sad to see their downfall, I find their fall from the ranks of power to be very very interesting. In theory, I should be a Republican. I strongly believe in small government, a hallmark of Republican policy. But this is NOT what the Republican party is about now. Actually quite the opposite. I find it ironic that the last time we saw a budget surplus was when we had a Democrat in the White House. And the worse budget deficits we have ever seen were when a Republican was at the helm. So what is wrong with the Republican party and what do they need to do to fix it?
- Realize that the Demographic of the United States is changing. Not every one is a white, middle aged, male
- Get back to their roots. Can they honestly say they are the party of fiscal responsibility?
- Stop thinking the United States is the center of the Universe. The Iraq war killed you.
- Stop denying science. Are you seriously going to tell me you don't think Global Warming is actually happening?
- Stop pandering to the Religious right. While clearly an important part of your base, it strongly turns off a large number of fiscal conservatives.
The Republican Party just got their ass kicked. They have to take a hard look in the mirror, and figure out how they became so detached from the rest of the country.
I for one am glad to see this election over. I'm tired of hearing about it on the radio, TV, and everywhere I go. This will hopefully be the final Political post I have for a while.
I liked John McCain's concession speech.ReplyDelete
I actually really did too. I thought he was extremely gracious and the definition of a good loser. He didn't complain about it, gave credit where credit was due, and he urged everyone to move on.ReplyDelete