- They must take cats - They do. I have to put a deposit down, but that was to be expected.
- Must have a dishwasher - It does. It's even brand new and stainless steel.
- Must have a washer/dryer IN UNIT - It does not. This was the big compromise. Just weren't that many apartments that actually had washer and dryer in unit. Those that did, I was compromising a lot more for other things. This was more important to my girlfriend than it was me, but she saw the place and thought the laundry facilities on site were adequate.
- I have to be able to get two parking spots - It has it, it is underground (i.e. covered) and they are side by side. Lots of places in the area have tandem parking, so this was excellent
- Roomy - One of the bigger places I saw and I have a large amount of terrace space.
- Clean and relatively new- Of all the places I saw, this was the nicest inside. It had granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances, and relatively clean everywhere else. I am VERY happy with this part of the criteria. The only drawback is that I will have to buy my own fridge, but that really isn't that big of a deal.
- Budget - Given all the above, you would think this was one of the more expensive places as I've only compromised on the washer/dryer. But here is the kicker. Of all the places I actually visited, this was the cheapest place. More on that in a minute.
- In Pasadena - I'm in an excellent location, pretty close to things, and in the good part of town.
So given all the above, I have no idea how I got the place for only $1700. This is seriously below budget and much less than I would have expected to spend. I looked at a lot of places, and most of the one bedrooms were going for more than that. There were no two bedrooms going for that low of a price for sure. Add on the fact that there is a pool and a fitness center and I'm pretty happy with the place. So I keep thinking to myself, what am I missing? What detail would account for this place getting such a good deal. Is it one of those cases of it being too good to be true?