But is there a better job that is available to the masses than working as a computer engineer? Think about it for a second. In all the companies I have worked for the following is true
- Computer Engineers are well paid
- Computer Engineers have extremely flexible hours. They can come in late and leave early if they wish, so long as they finish their work
- Computer Engineers can easily get away with doing very little if they choose (see picture)
- Computer Engineers have physically undemanding jobs
- Computer Engineers are allowed, and usually encouraged, to take breaks during working hours (Foosball and Video games are the norm at my work)
- Computer Engineers are in demand and thus jobs tend to be pretty plentiful
Its hard to think of a job that can be as easy (if one chooses) and pays as well as those available in the tech industry. Now while I greatly respect the job, I don't feel many other people do. I know when I was single and trying out the dating services I purposefully avoided saying I was a Software Development Manager. It paid off. Talking to my girlfriend afterwards, she told me she was already concerned that I went to Princeton, and that if I had stated what I did, her first impression would have been that I was too nerdy.
Now you would think that women would love to date a computer engineer and that it wouldn't be a turn off. After all, it is a well paying, secure job, that still would leave time for her or their family. But I guess its just hard to overcome the image of Dilbert and Wally.
What do you think. What are some of the best jobs that an average American can have?