I rarely, if ever, take these days off. While most people take the day off in order to take advantage of the long holiday, I see it as one of the best days to actually go into work. There are several reasons I enjoy going in on these types of days
- Traffic is extremely light. Makes a big difference when you live in Los Angeles
- There is nobody around to bother me, so I can actually get work done
- I don't have any meetings to go to. Once again, I can get work done
- Work these days is definitely easier. Long lunches are the norm
- Workers are almost always dismissed early on these days
For the most part, the last two do not really effect me since I can always take long lunches and I can always leave when I want to, but it is nonetheless nice to have days where expectations are low. For me, it is extremely important that I get some time this year to actually focus and do work. I have a bunch of reviews to do this year, many of which I am not prepared for because I was not the manager for most of these people for most of the year. I am the type of person who likes to have really good and accurate reviews for his employees but this year will prove challenging and I need all the time I can get to write these reviews.
Hope everyone is having a Happy Holidays. Only a few more days till 2009! How are you spending the last few days?