A few days in and I have to say that I have mixed feelings. It definitely is a great device. It is easy to use and extremely useful. the App Store is fantastic and you really can find an App that does pretty much whatever you want. I've mostly used it to keep up to date on my e-mail and to do things like check the traffic or sports scores. I could do the same thing with the Blackjack but it is easier to do with the iPhone as there are built in apps to go and get that data.
But I'm struggling with the iPhone on several fronts. The biggest problems I have come across
- The battery life is just poor. If I don't charge it overnight, the thing will be dead by the next morning
- The network is slow. Probably more a problem with AT&T but it is still kind of annoying
- I hate that it doesn't multi-task.
- Typing things in is a pain in the ass. I am constantly typing things wrong. This thing needs a real keyboard.
- I can't tether it to my laptop without jumping through some hoops
- The e-mail client my work uses is actually better on the Blackjack. On the iPhone it doesn't automatically download new messages.
I think Apple hit their target market. It is a great consumer device. It is just a bad device for work. I'm probably happier with this device than the Blackjack but only because it makes my personal life a little better. Ironically, my wife, who probably won't like me being glued to it while we are out, is now hooked on one of the iPhone games. She is literally playing it right now and completely ignoring me.
On a similar note, is it just me or is the iPad kind of a disappointment? Seriously, what problem is this trying to solve?